By the end of class, you will be able to:
Key Points for Annotated Bibliography
Key Points for Term Paper
When researching theories in anthropology, returning to the original source, also known as the primary source, can help you understand the nuances of the theory. You'll likely use other reference texts to help simplify and make sense of the theory.
Look at how the concept of "hydraulic civilization" is described in the original source by Wittfogel: https://archive.org/details/KarlAugustWittfogel-OrientalDespotism
What is peer-review?
When a source has been peer-reviewed it has undergone the review and scrutiny of a review board of colleagues in the author's field. They evaluate this source as part of the body of research for a particular discipline and make recommendations regarding its publication in a journal, revisions prior to publication, or, in some cases, reject its publication.
Less is More: Start with one or two words and then add one additional term at a time
Phrase searching: Use "quotation marks" around key ideas made up of multiple words
Truncation: Use an asterisk * to find different endings to your keywords
Use limits: These refine (narrow) your search using different restrictions
Boolean: OR / AND / NOT
Useful Guides and Resources
3.1 Preparing the Manuscript
3.4 In-Text Reference Citations
3.11 References Cited
3.11.1 Book, single author
3.11.2 Book, multiple authors
3.11.13 Article in edited book or monograph
3.11.14 Article in edited volume in a series
3.11.9 Article in a journal
3.11.22 Web pages and electronic documents
Annotated Bibliography Resources
An annotated bibliography is a list of references with a brief description
To avoid plagiarism when paraphrasing remember these five important points:
1) Your paraphrased text should be significantly different from the original (i.e. don't just change a few words here and there)
2) You must change the structure of the sentence or paragraph you are paraphrasing, not just the words.
3) If you use anyone else's words verbatim (word for word) you need to put quotation marks around it.
4) Use proper citation method, (for ANTH 2225, use SAA citation format) to give credit for the idea's, opinions or theories you are presenting.
5) Check that you have preserved the original meaning of the text in your paraphrased version