To get started today, log into a classroom computer or your own personal laptop, tablet, etc. and open the MRU Library website https://library.mtroyal.ca/
How to find the ENGL 2271 course guide:
Go to Blackboard:
By the end of class, you will be able to:
What do you want to learn today?
You can upload this to your Google Drive.
1. Open the document
2. Go File >> Save As and save to the desktop
3. Open Google Drive
4. Click My Drive >> Upload File
Developing Your Topic:
Quality refers to how trustworthy and reputable your source is.
What is peer-review?
When a source has been peer-reviewed it has undergone the review and scrutiny of a review board of colleagues in the author's field. They evaluate this source as part of the body of research for a particular discipline and make recommendations regarding its publication in a journal, revisions prior to publication, or, in some cases, reject its publication.
General Searching Tips:
Less is More: Start with one or two words and then add one additional term at a time
Phrase searching: Use "quotation marks" around key ideas made up of multiple words
Truncation: Use an asterisk * to find different endings to your keywords
Use limits: These refine (narrow) your search using different restrictions
You can combine all the above strategies in your search:
When searching English Literature, consider:
What are the best tools for the information that I need?
General Search Tools
Subject Specific Search Tools
For literature, consider:
Citing and Referencing in MLA
What is it?
An annotated bibliography is a list of references with a brief description
Things to Remember
To avoid plagiarism when paraphrasing, remember these five important points:
1) Your paraphrased text should be significantly different from the original (i.e. don't just change a few words here and there)
2) You must change the structure of the sentence or paragraph you are paraphrasing, not just the words.
3) If you use anyone else's words verbatim (word for word) you need to put quotation marks around it.
4) Use proper citation methods to give credit for the ideas, opinions, or theories you are presenting.
5) Check that you have preserved the original meaning of the text in your paraphrased version
What do I need to include?
An annotated bibliography entry consists of two components: the Citation and the Annotation. For this assignment, use MLA style format (9th ed.)
Generally, an annotation is approximately 100-300 words in length (one paragraph). However, your professor may have different expectations so it is recommended that you clarify the assignment guidelines.
An annotation may include the following information:
Examples of Annotated Bibliographies and how to format