Research Support - Faculty
Library Open Access Fund
The MRU Library is excited to offer an Open Access Fund. This initiative supports our authors in the open dissemination of their research by reimbursing eligible open access fees related to publishing in an open access publication.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Cambridge University Press: 20% discount off normal APCs
- MDPI: 10% discount off normal APCs
- NRC Research Press: reduced flat fee of $1,500 USD (normally $3,000)
- SAGE: 40% discount off normal APCs
Criteria for Applicants
The Fund will only accept applications from the primary author (e.g., lead, first-named, or corresponding), who will take responsibility for submitting the grant request and receiving reimbursement. This author must be affiliated with MRU as a:
- Tenured, tenurable, or contract faculty member
- Full-time administrator or staff member
- Undergraduate student
Your co-authors do not have to be affiliated with MRU.
In the event that your project has existing research funding, the request must be accompanied by a declaration that the open access APCs have not already been covered by the grant or are ineligible under the grant.
Criteria for the Publication
The Fund will reimburse article open access (OA) processing charges (APCs) for article manuscripts accepted to be published in peer-reviewed journals. The journal must:
- Use a full open access publishing model
- Be listed in the Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ)
- Make their OA fees publicly available on their website
- Make the open access version immediately available upon publication
To help the fund reach a broad audience and to ensure timely processing:
- Reimbursement grants will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis
- Total reimbursement is capped at $3,000 (CDN) per individual per year (July-June)
- There is no limit on the number of applications, the maximum is $3,000 total
To qualify for reimbursement the applicant must submit a paid invoice/receipt. The Library will reimburse accepted applicants in a timely manner using established internal processes.
Mandatory Deposit in the IR
Authors who accept their awarded grant under this fund must deposit a version of their research in the Mount Royal University Institutional Repository (MRUIR). Authors are also encouraged to consider depositing appropriate supporting data in the MRUIR. The Library is prepared to assist with this process. In the case of publisher embargo, the manuscript should still be deposited as soon as possible with the appropriate repository embargo provisions in place.
Once you've reviewed the eligibility criteria and are ready to apply, please access the electronic application form.
After you Apply
Once submitted, your electronic application will be reviewed against the eligibility criteria. We are committed to reviewing all applications carefully but also in a timely manner so that you are not left waiting.
For More Information
We're happy to assist with the application process or answer any questions or concerns you might have regarding the OA Fund, open access, or scholarly publishing in general.
Richard Hayman, Librarian
- email: email@example.com
- phone: 403.440.8518
Library Collections Manager
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- phone: 403.440.6778