The Search Engine Showdown requires you to examine, compare, and comment on a search engine that isn't Google. Here are your instructions.
- You and your partner will be assigned a pair of search engines from the list below.
- Take a couple of minutes to look at both.
- Pick just one search engine from your set.
- Take 15 minutes to explore the features of your chosen search engine in detail.
- On the appropriate discussion thread in D2L, provide a short summary/analysis of the engine you selected, including a comment on what makes it different from regular Google.
- Some prompts and things to think about:
- what engine you selected
- why you picked this engine
- what kinds of user information need(s) it helps meet
- what your engine assumes about the user
- what you liked about it vs. what you didn't like about it
- what specific features were particularly useful, or easy to use
- what specific features were less helpful, or frustrating to use
- anything else relevant that comes to mind
- Finally, using your notes and experience, you and your partner have to to pitch your chosen search engine to the class.
Wrap up: Everyone will have a chance to consider which search engine they are most likely to try themselves.