Maker & Media Commons
The Maker & Media Commons is a collection of creative spaces where students, faculty, staff and community users can explore new ideas and design concepts or experiment with immersive tools and technologies. Our team is here to assist you in creating, exploring and collaborating, whether you are designing projects for research, assignments or classroom instruction.
Students, faculty and staff at Mount Royal are using the Maker & Media Commons to complete exciting research and creative projects. Explore opportunities for collaboration including assignment/project development, lectures, customized workshops and software instruction.
Faculty & Community
Develop projects and assignments with Maker & Media Commons experts to meet creative learning outcomes.
Workshops and Lectures
Build creative teaching and learning opportunities in the Maker Studio, Experience Lab or your own post secondary classroom.
Access software guides and tutorials for Maker and Media Commons tools and technologies.
Orientations in the Maker Studio
- Orientation to the Maker Studio
- 3D Printing Orientation in the Maker Studio
- Cutting Tools Orientation in the Maker Studio
- Sewing/ Embroidery Machine Orientation in the Maker Studio
- Electronics and Robotics Orientation in the Maker Studio
Software Workshops in the Maker Studio
- Illustrator for the Maker Studio Tools
- 3D Modelling in Tinkercad with the Maker Studio Staff
- Vinyl cutting with the Silhouette Cameo
- Using Easel software for CNC carving projects
- Setting up a 3D Print
- Z Brush Workshop
Electronics and Robotics Programming
- Makey Makey Workshop
- Prototyping Electronics Using Breadboarding
- Beginner Programming with Scratch
- Introduction to Arduino
- Learn a Programming Language: Python
- Robotics with Lego Mindstorms
- Moving an Object with Arduino
- Paper Circuits
- Simple Coding with Little Bits
- Understanding Electricity and Simple Code using Little Bits
- Wearable Electronics using AdaFruit
Design and Creativity Workshops
- Logo Design using Adobe Illustrator
- Concept Development
- Design Thinking
- Human Centred Design
Tool Specific Workshops
- 3D Scanning Tools
- Making Affirmations with Button Making Tools
- Repair Café in the Maker Studio
- Tote Making in the Maker Studio
- See the Calendar for these one time events
- Hand Embroidery 101 in the Maker Studio with Milena Radzikowska in collaboration with Information Design
- Button Making Affirmations
With countless tools and resources, including 3D printers, laser cutters, sewing machines, robotics technology and creative software, the Maker Studio can help you explore new design ideas and concepts to take your projects from simple to stand out.
Home to an extensive array of immersive technologies, the Experience Lab serves as a research and testing ground for faculty and students interested in exploring the educational potential of VR, XR and 360° cameras in the classroom and beyond.
Audio Production Rooms
Record high quality podcasts and voice-over to enhance your creative projects in the Library’s Audio Production Rooms. Access sound booths and audiovisual editing software for interviews, discussions, and more.