Maker Studio | Adafruit (sewable electronics)
The adafruit neopixel is an integrated microprocessor that allows for the creation of sewable circuits. These circuits use a special conductive thread and sewable LEDs to build circuits into fabrics. All material requirements must be provided by the patron.
Materials: FLORA (Adafruit), Sewable LEDS, Conductive Thread, Power source (usually 3 AAA batteries), Other integrated circuits you may require. Before buying materials, come to the Maker Studio and speak to the staff about the requirements for your project.
Software: Adafruit Neopixel uses Arduino IDE to program it.
File types: N/A (Neopixel has no external storage options for files)
- Clock speed: 8MHz.
- 3.3V output pad: we recommend no more than 100mA,
- USB input: 4.5V-5.5V with 500mA fuse.
Production time: dependent on the project scale
- Plan and draw your circuit schematic for the circuit you intend to implement.
- Translate that schematic into placements on the fabric you are working with.
- After considering placements, take your sewable electronics and sew them into the fabric following your placements.
- Use the conductive thread to connect your electronics based on your schematics and ensure no short circuits are wired into your fabric, you can use a multimeter to test as you wire to ensure this.