Audio Production Room | Audacity
Audacity is a versatile free and open-source audio editor and recording software that is easy for beginners.
- Operates on both Mac and Windows computers. Software is free and available for use on personal computers.
- Audacity is a destructive editor - edits to audio files are made directly to the file. Once you save your edits, they cannot be undone. For this reason, save extra original copies of your audio files or recordings before you start editing.
- Audacity is multitrack software, but is not recommended for multitrack recording. Music production is not recommended.
- Audacity cannot export files to mp3 file type without the installation of the LAME mp3 encoder.
- To open mp4 files (vidoe) in Audacity, the FFmpeg encoder must be installed.
Availability and How to Download
In addition to the Audio Rooms, Audacity is available on the student and faculty laptops, quick access computers, in the Computer Commons, 2nd floor Library computers, group rooms, presentation practice rooms, Data Hub, and Library Classrooms. It is also available on the Laptop Cart (Set of 30).
To download Audacity on your personal computer, follow these instructions:
NOTE: Only use links to download provided by the Audacity Manual. Do not download Audacity from other sources.