Maker Studio | Roland Vinyl Printer/ Cutter
The Roland printer/cutter gives users the ability to print on vinyl and
cut in one step with one device. This is a high resolution poster printer which can
produce print quality posters, stickers and heat-transfers
- Materials: Heat Transfer material or Generic printable vinyl.
- Software: Illustrator (for cutting lines) and VersaVu Print for Printing
- File types: Illustrator Ai, and any other image file (PNG, JPEG, TIFF, etc)
- Machine details: 300~350mm width, No machine limit on length
- Production time: dependent on the project scale
- Create or upload your design in Adobe Illustrator.
- In order to have your cutline follow the outline of your graphic you must use a vector, not a raster image. If you are using a raster image you will need to draw a shape around it in Illustrator which will become the cutline or vectorize the image in Illustrator.
- To create a cut line around your image first you must download the Roland Versa Works swatch which can be found here.
- To open the swatch window choose “window” and then “swatches”.
- Click on the 4 horizontal lines in the upper right corner.
- Click on “open swatch library” then choose the “Roland Versa Works”.
- The pink swatch is cut.
- Open “Layers” window.
- Duplicate the layers.
- Name the back layer “Image” and lock and hide this layer.
- Name the top layer “cut line”.
- Select “cut line” then click on “object” in the toolbar and “expand”.
- In the Pathfinder window choose “unite”.
- In the appearance window choose “stroke”.
- In the Swatch Window choose pink for cutting.
- Click on “stroke”. Make sure “aligned to centre” is chosen.
- Stroke must be less than .25 pnt.
- Unlock the Image layer and bring forward.
- Submit your finished file on the MRU Maker Studio website by filling out the form.
- You will receive an email when the print is completed. This could take up to 3 weeks. Please pick up your print during open hours.
For Studio Staff:
- From Illustrator, go into File -> Print. Select “RolandVWD” as the printer.
- In the print window, under “Media Size” select the dropdown that says “Defined by Driver” and select “Custom” instead. Click Print.
- After it has been sent, open the Roland VersaWorks Dual app.
- In the Roland VersaWorks Dual app the print jobs can be seen on the left in your queue.
- Select your print job then select Settings in the bottom left.
- Click on “Get Media Width” first. Then confirm your image is the right size under “Scaling”.
- Click the second to last icon “Clip and Tile” on the left side of the settings window.
- Drag the corners of the box as close to your image as possible without removing your cut lines. The cut lines are shown as a marching red dashed line.
- Click “Ok” when finished.
- If you want to print multiple jobs in a single row, shift click both of them in the queue window, once both are highlighted select the “Nest” option in the bottom left.
- Once you have confirmed everything looks correct, select “Print” in the bottom left.