Find out more about what resources are available to you
Borrowing from MRU Library
Borrowing privileges are currently available to Mount Royal University students, faculty, and staff at this time. We look forward to resuming loans to alumni, community borrowers, retired MRU employees, and COPPUL and TAL users as soon as we are able.
Students, Staff, and Faculty
Mount Royal University students, faculty and staff may borrow items from the Main Collection - books, journals, magazines, DVDs, and CDs. Students can also request laptops and wireless hotspots. MRU employees can borrow a selection of audiovisual equipment to assist with virtual instruction and support work.
- A vast collection of digital materials is available via LibrarySearch.
- Make use of the Contactless Pick-Up Service to access Main Collection physical books, laptops, and other equipment.
- Your OneCard is your library card and is required to access the building for main floor study, computer lab, and contactless pick-ups.
- Items on Reserve are not currently available for loan. You can request to have a chapter or up to 10% of a title sent to you via our Digitalization Request form.
- Items may be renewed if there are no holds placed on the item. Renew online through your Library Account or use the chat, text (587-400-8044), or email option to request a renewal.
- Library equipment must be renewed by communicating with a member of the Service Desk team through chat, text, or email.
- Laptops must be returned at the end of each semester. Students can submit a new loan request if they still require the use of a laptop.
- Interlibrary Loan renewals can be requested by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org but not guaranteed. Renewals are at the discretion of the lending library.
Hold/Request an Item
Request, or place a "hold", on library items that are either loaned out to another borrower or available on the shelf. Holds may be placed the following ways:
- Online, via logging in to LibrarySearch. Search for a Main Collection title and select "Place hold" under "Get it".
- Via email, text or the online Ask Us chat option.
- See our Contactless Pick-Up Service page for more information on the process of placing a hold and pick-up.
Interlibrary Loans is a service currently available to Mount Royal University students, faculty, staff and Emeritus who need access to a resource that we don't offer. Due to the current Covid-19 restrictions across Canada, only digital copies can be requested.
Loans & Fines
Varies, 1 week to 3 weeks
Due date is set by the lending library
Laptops + Wifi Hotspots
Semester loan (laptops)
3 weeks (hotspots)
Loan periods vary, please start a chat
- Items are assumed lost after 28 days overdue.
- Item replacement cost and a $15 processing fee will be charged
It is the borrower's responsibility to note the date and time materials are due. There are no overdue fines for our Main Collection. Fines are charged for overdue material for recalls, equipment, interlibrary loans, reserves, and all lost material.
As the Service Desk is currently virtual, we are unable to process overdue payments at this time. We will resume this service when the Service Desk reopens.
- Check My Account online for due dates and accumulated fines
- More than $100 in fines/fees for 14 days will result in student accounts being forwarded to MRU Financial Services.
- this may affect future registration or receipt on transcripts.
- after fines are transferred to MRU Financial Services the Library can no longer accept payment or receive items that have gone to 'lost' status.
- Laptops - $10/day to a maximum of $180
- Laptop power adapters and mice - $2/day to a maximum of $50
- Short term equipment (chargers, adapters, cables) - $2/hr to a maximum of $50
- Other equipment - $5/day to a maximum of $50
- Reserve Collection - $2/hr to a maximum of $50
- Recalled items - $2/day to a maximum of $50
- Interlibrary Loans (ILL) - $5 non pickup fee & over due fines of $2/day
For all other Equipment and a complete listing of all library material fines and fees, please review the Schedule of Fines and Fees.